Cupping Massage Therapy
Although Cupping Massage Therapy is regarded as complementary medicine in Western culture, in many cultures it is considered much more mainstream. Cupping Massage Therapy is an ancient therapy that particularly made its mark within Traditional Chinese Medicine.
The applied techniques focus on eliminating stagnation in the energy channels, the meridians. Stagnation causes blockages & adhesions, resulting in pain, and limited movement, decreasing mobility & flexibility.
During Cupping Massage Therapy both silicone & plastic cups are used. These are placed on the skin to create a vacuum. This suction draws the skin & the underlying tissues into the cup. The vacuum created by the cups activates the circulation of blood & lymphatic fluids. Oxygenated blood nourishes the cells with nutrients while simultaneously stimulating the discharge of waste & toxins.
Where regular massage therapy is using pressure, the technique of Cupping Massage Therapy is the other way around. The skin & tissues are lifted into the cup, contributing to the enormous depth effect of this holistic therapy, penetrating the body up to 4 cm deep.
Techniques Cupping Massage Therapy
Different techniques are applied during Cupping Massage Therapy:
- pulsing cupping: the cup is placed on a blockage or adhesion, carefully released from the skin & moved to the next spot
- gliding cupping: the cup is placed on the skin & with gliding movements gently moved across the skin in specific patterns
- vibrating cupping: the cup is placed on a blockage or adhesion, lifted, gently shaken back & forth & released
- fixed cupping: the cup is placed on specific areas for 5 up to 15 minutes.
Because of the deep tissue effects of Cupping Massage Therapy it can be used for many complaints & ailments. It supports the relaxation of muscles & other tissues, stimulates the circulation of blood & lymphatic fluids while at the same time eliminating stagnation, detoxifying tissues, eventually resulting in reduction or elimination of experienced pain.
Although not necessarily so, the first few Cupping Massage Therapy treatments can be bit painful because of the depth effect on distortions & imbalances in the underlying tissues. This can leave you a bit tender or sore. As these distortions & imbalances are being smoothed away with every consecutive session, the tissue has the ability to restore itself. Pain & soreness diminish drastically & your health & flexibility will benefit greatly.
After the session red, blue, grey or even black marks can be seen on the skin. These are toxins drawn to the surface of the skin, for the body to discharge in the days following the therapeutic cupping treatment. These marks can be visible for 3 – 5 days post treatment, depending on the intensity of the mark & your overall health condition. The different reactions of the skin & the variety of colors shown in the marks tell the story of your overall health, underlying problems & conditions. This will be discussed with you at the end of the Cupping Massage Therapy session.
Cupping Massage Therapy benefits
Cupping Massage Therapy is very effective in treating:
- Neck pain, headache, migraine, shoulder problems, back pain, arm problems
- Poor circulation, connective tissue & fascia complaints, adhesions, fibromyalgia
- Muscle- & joint pain, injuries, trauma, hip problems, swelling of knee or ankle
- Asthma, ringing in the ears, tinnitus, dizziness, lightheadedness, upcoming cold or flu
- Tiredness, fatigue, exhaustion, lethargy, listlessness, stress & stress related issues
- Abdominal pains, constipation, bladder problems
- Problems with the menstrual cycle
- Scar tissue (tissue healed for at least 6 months)
Does this holistic therapy appeal to you, but you are not sure if it is a match for you, please don’t hesitate to send me a message. I will be happy to provide you with further information.
The deep tissue effects of Cupping Massage Therapy will continue for another few days after the session has taken place. Because of the depth effect of this therapy, there are certain contraindications. Without pretending to be complete, some examples being:
- Infectious diseases, blood abnormalities, cancer, skin diseases & inflammation
- Severe vascular disorders, stomach & duodenal ulcers
- Extreme fatique, exhaustion, too much pain
Cupping Massage Therapy session
During the holistic Cupping Massage Therapy session you comfortably lay face down on the treatment table. A Cupping Massage Therapy session always starts on the back. Important meridians are located here, making it possible for the effects to disperse & impact the whole body. The enhanced flow of energy & circulation brings your being into harmony & balance.
As some oil is applied to the skin before the cups are placed in position, partly undressing yourself is necessary to be able to reach the areas that will be treated.